Friday, April 23, 2010

Relieve Back Pain Utilizing an Anti-Burst Core Exercise Ball Or Swiss Ball Chair

I work from home in my home office at my computer. I used to have a sore back at the end of the day even though I would get up periodically to move around and get up and out to run errands. Now, I am more productive during the times I am sitting and working at my computer and have virtually eliminated my back pain! I also find that I am more aware of my posture and no longer slouch over my keyboard.

One of the causes of back pain, according to Dr. Oz, is being sedentary for long periods of time. He said "On average, the body can tolerate being in one position for about 20 minutes before you need to adjust.". This got me thinking about how thankful I was that I no longer use a traditional office chair. I use a big yellow 75cm anti burst core exercise ball. I am 5' 5/12 " tall and feel that this is a good height for me to sit comfortably and work at my computer. I also tried to 65 cm size and found that to be a little too low for me to type comfortably. The stability ball or core exercise ball has a dual purpose. You will improve your posture and stability as well as improve and tone your core, abdominal muscles. There are a multitude of yoga poses and exercises you can also perform on the stability ball. Stability ball exercises include but, are not limited to, the Pelvic Tilt, crunches, push ups, V-ups, Supine Bridge, Russian twist, the Plank, hip extensions and squats. As a more practical alternative, you can also work your core at your computer by using the Health Mark Swiss Ball Chair. Simply rocking side-to-side and rolling the ball in little circles is a perfect solution for exercising at the office on your breaks! Using the ball or the ball chair will not only prevent you from slumping over your desk but will work your core muscles, leg muscles, arm and chest muscles as well.

I also use the wobble disk when I know I am going out will be sitting waiting for longs periods of time for my doctor or office appointments. The Wobble Disk fits neatly on any chair and is easy to pack up and take with me. The nice thing about the wobble disk is that it is not too big or too heavy to take along. I have a variety of purses I use depending on where I am going. Dr. Oz said that "Carrying a handbag that's more than 10 percent of your body weight poses serious health risks for your back..." So I only take what I need depending on where I am going! When used from a sitting position, the Wobble Disk helps activate your back muscles and work your core and may also help prevent yourself from slouching while you sit. I feel good knowing that by sitting on the Wobble Disk may help correct my posture because Dr. Oz said "Slouching Puts 100 Extra Pounds of Stress on the Lower Back". - which may help alleviate prolonged stress on the lower back. The Wobble Disk can be used for a wide range of applications ranging from active sitting, muscle strengthening, joint stabilization, to post natal care. It truly is a 3 in 1 piece of equipment that can benefit anyone from children to the elder generation by combining the advantages of a Gym (Swiss) Ball, Sitting wedge, Wobble Board and Foot Massage. Five minutes on a wobble cushion is approximately equal to a half hour of any other physical activity that involves instability. The recommended usage of the Wobble Disk is to be intermittent; use it for about half an hour at a time, put it aside for a while, and then put it back on the chair. Take it on and off at regular intervals through the day. A variety of positions is the only truly ergonomic occupational posture.

Whether you choose to use the Health Mark Swiss Ball Chair or core exercise ball daily or the Wobble Disk at various times through your day or week the important fact to remember is that either one will help alleviate your lower back pain, strengthen your core muscles and keep you active while you sit. This is also a great idea for a youth or teen bedroom desk area. They may even enjoy sitting down to do their homework! Offering a core ball or swiss ball chair for you child will also help your kids work on rhythm, coordination and balance! Ball therapy is great for any age level and very therapeutic!

No comments:

Post a Comment